Welcome to Indonesia

Walking down the dimly lit street, dodging motorcycles and stray dogs, I was so proud of myself. Here I was, half the world away from any semblance of home, in a country where I didn't speak the language, and I had left the safety of my hotel to wander the streets of Sorong, Indonesia. As I strode down the sidewalk looking for some dinner, I felt my pocket for the reassuring shape of my hotel key. In a moment of sudden panic I realized it was not there. I had misplaced my key somewhere in the quarter-mile of slatted sidewalk that separated me from the security of my hotel room. It was after eight in the evening and the sun's guiding rays had long since vanished. For the next ten minutes I carefully retraced my steps alternating between feverish prayers and reassuring lies. Yet through the haze that filled my mind, I knew how clearly God had been guiding through my whole journey, and I knew he would see me through my current dilemma. As I rounded the corner leading to my hotel, I glimpsed the familiar shape of my key card teetering precariously on a slat of the sidewalk. At any time in the last fifteen minutes, a passing shoe or gust of wind could have sent my card between the boards and into the open water channel below. It seems God saw fit to put a hand around my key to cover my foolish blunder.

So how did I get myself into such a predicament, and what am I doing so far from home? Roughly a month ago, I left my home in Vancouver, BC and boarded a plane bound for Indonesia. I had aspirations to serve the local peoples, experience a foreign culture, but more specifically, to understand the life of a mission pilot in the twenty first century. I have always been drawn to the adventure of humanitarian aviation, however I need to take a good hard look at the reality of mission life before I commit to a lifetime of service. Over the past several years, I have been drawn to the fresh perspective and energy that Gary Roberts has brought to mission flying, and I am so fortunate that he invited me to spend this year with him in Jayapura, Indonesia.

My journey to Jayapura, however, would take the scenic route. I had the pleasure of spending my first weekend in Indonesia's capital city, Jakarta, with my lovely friend Sekolas. Even though we had never met, through her friendship with my uncle, I was welcomed into her home. She took me for a roller coaster of authentic local food, a tour of multiple historical sites, and even a trip to the safari style zoo. It was such beautiful welcome to Indonesia.


A Chinese dinner with Sekolas and her family.

Indonesian Salad, Sour Soup, and Milk Fish

Ragunan Zoo, Jakarta, Indonesia



After my weekend in Jakarta, I flew to Singapore to pick up the appropriate visas for my nine month stay in Indonesia. In Singapore I met Joanna who plays a critical role in the ministry of MegaVoice. She delivered to me a large order of solar powered audio players that will be donated here in Indonesia. These audio players will bring the Bible to Papuan villagers who are unable to read. It was a pleasure to meet Joanna and hear about her ministry. It was also nice to have a local guide around the food market.

Though I only spend one night in Singapore, I made the best of it, seeing Chinatown, Singapore River, and even a quick stop in Gardens by the Bay. I am looking forward to returning and exploring the vast multiculturalism packed into this tiny country.


Singapore - Gardens by the Bay

At 6:20 AM on Tuesday, October 2, our wheels finally touched down in Jayapura. I was unbelievably happy to finally be arriving in the city I had been dreaming about for the better portion of a year. Gary Robert's daughter, Cherise bounced up and greeted me on the airport curb. As her dad pulled around the truck, it began to hit me that I was finally here.

As I settled into the compound of Adventist Aviation Indonesia, I was very thankful to sleep in the same bed for a few nights, for I was very sick. After being on the road for almost a week, the diversity and rapid change of diet had deeply affected my digestive system. Having some consistent food would do me well. In the few days I had with Gary, in Jayapura, I devoted my time to formatting the airplane engine maintenance manuals to be accessing by iPad. This will allow Gary and other bush pilots flying the Pilates Porter to more easily diagnose engine problems in the field. I was glad my skills were put to work right away.

On Sabbath we took the opportunity to hike into a remote beach and spend the afternoon in the beauty of nature. This was my first glimpse of the 'white beaches' of Indonesia. With the surf crashing on the sand and six hammocks in a tree, it was a day to remember.

Due to Gary's airplanes being down for maintenance, and other temporary focuses of the mission, Gary was not ready to have me stay with him just yet. Instead he sent me to learn from his close business partner and mission pilot Max Ammer. On Sunday morning I boarded a plane bound for the magical islands of Raja Ampat.


Sunrise over Papua, Indonesia

A hike near Jayapura

A beautiful beach near Jayapura

After landing in Sorong, and my fiasco with my hotel card, I was picked up early the next morning by Sesa who took me to the ferry. Through the course of my journey, the airplanes, vehicles, boats I have boarded have become smaller and smaller. This was even more evident when I disembarked from the moderately sized ferry and stepped into a tipsy four foot wide diving boat. The narrow, yet long hull, powered by twin forty horse power motors, jetted us straight out into the light blue sea. It was odd to realize that I was halfway around the world from my friends and family, skipping over the water with nothing but a half inch of fibre glass separating me from the vast blue Pacific ocean. Yet it was not a feeling of sadness or fear, more the exhilaration of adventure and the knowledge that I really could be at home anywhere.

When the engines finally came to rest in front of the docks of Sorido Bay Resort, I was stunned with the beauty of my final resting place. Even from the jetty, toteing my luggage, I could see the yawning carpet of corral that covered the sea floor of the entire bay. As my suitcase clattered along the dock, schools of tropical fish scurried away with sunlight glinting off their backs. It was truly a sight to behold, and every day I spend here I am more studded by the brilliance of God's creation.

Max Ammer runs several businesses in Raja Ampat including Sorido Bay Resort, yet my work here is under his conservation organization RARCC (Raja Ampat Research & Conservation Centre). RARCC has been implementing sustainable living practices and enforcing environmental conservation in the Raja Ampat area for over thirty years. The positive effects of reduced fishing and sustainable living are already evident as hundreds of sharks have returned to the reefs of Raja Ampat. These animals, previously hunted and killed by illegal fishing methods, have found a safe haven in the waters protected by RARCC.

RARCC is also developing a training program for local pilots interested in the mission field. This is where I come in. For the past three weeks since I have arrived at Sorido bay, I have been teaching the concepts of aerodyamincs and airplane systems to Malvin in preparation for his private pilots licence. Malvin is a local papuan young man who is excited about a life of mission aviation. While he has been an employee of RARCC for three years and has helped assemble our Bell 47 helicopter, he is ready to start his education towards his pilots licence. Though English comes as a second language for Malvin, we are making steady progress through the topics covered in pilots ground school.

In addition to training pilots, RARCC is investing in younger students looking for a life of service within aviation. Just last week, three high school students arrived to enroll in a helicopter and airplane maintenance internship. While they are here, I will be be focusing on improving their math and English skills. Calvin, Christian, and Daniel are all passionate about careers in airplane maintenance and desire to give back to their local Papuan communities. It is a really special opportunity to touch their lives for the next two months as we work and study together.


Sorido Bay Resort
Raja Ampat, Indonesia

A sandbar in the ocean

My classroom!

So that's it. For the past month I have been hopping all over Indonesia, collecting essential paperwork, and making valuable connections. I am happy to be settled here in Sorido Bay for the time being and am ready for the long days of teaching. Funny thing is, I had not expected on being a teacher during my student mission year. But, despite my best plans, God has led me right back to the classroom! I am looking forward to building connections with my students and accepting the mounting challenges along the way.


Comments